June 07 , 2012
A Registrar and Transfer Agent (R&T Agent) for mutual funds handles all the documentation and operational procedures involved in investing. They process the application forms and bank the cheques; they handle change requests, statement requests and redemption slips. They maintain customer contact details and handle all correspondence. For all this, they are paid a small fee by the mutual fund house.
Currently, there are four R&T agents that cater to mutual funds in India:
1. FTamil: Registrar for Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund
2. Deutsche: Registrar for Deutsche Mutual Fund
3. CAMS: Registrar for HDFC, ICICI, SBI, Birla, DSP BlackRock and several other Mutual Funds
4. Karvy: Registrar for Reliance, UTI, Principal, LIC, TATA and several other Mutual Funds
5. Sundaram BNP Paribas Fund Services: Registrar for Sundaram and BNP Paribas Mutual Funds