Procedure: How to Pay Self Assessment Tax at Bank
March 07 , 2013
March 07 , 2013
- Self Assessment Tax is to be paid on or before due date of filing Tax Returns if you happen to figure out that less tax has been paid in the previous year as TDS or Advance tax than what you are liable to.
- If you missed out on paying Advance tax in the previous year you have to shell it out along with interest of 1% for every month of delay based on due dates for Advance tax.
- Challan ITNS 280 is the one for Self Assessment Tax. You can download it from http://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/dittaxmann/incometaxrules/pdf/challanitns-280.pdf or get it from the bank itself. Many banks accept income tax payment at their branches. You can check list of nearest branch at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/oltas/oltas-bank-branches.php
- In field for Tax Applicable select option 0021 for 'Income Tax Other Than Companies'. Correctly fill in applicable assessment year and personal details including PAN. In field Type of Payment choose option 300 for 'Self Assessment Tax'.
- In field for Details of Payment you need to fill in amount of payment under applicable subs. Enter the Income Tax amount in the cell as assessed by you. Surcharge is not applicable for assessment year 2013-14. Education cess is 3% of the Income tax computed. If you added it in the first cell leave this one blank.
- Fill up taxpayer's counterfoil as well at the bottom.
- You can pay in cash or by cheque. Once you submit challan 280 along with cash or cheque the bank will return counterfoil with its seal and CIN.
- Challan Identification Number (CIN) is a unique acknowledgement number which you have to quote as proof while filing tax return.
- If you are paying by cheque at a branch where you do not have an account the bank might give you an acknowledge slip with a token number and on encashment of cheque you can go back to collect your counterfoil with CIN.
- You can view status and detail of your tax payment through bank at TIN-NSDL, which is the agency responsible for this, at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/oltas/oltas-challan.php. Select CIN based View. In the screen that opens enter bank code, payment date and CIN. Amount field is optional.
- If CIN is correct it will display date when payment was received. If no records are found then it could mean the bank has not updated data on TIN network or CIN uploaded is different from what you entered. You must check with the bank in this case. If amount was entered it will show if amount is matching or not.